Friday, November 14, 2008

HANOVER PL. - THE DISTRICT -

I happen to be watching tv last night (rare occasion) and cuaght the last 30 mins of American Gangster on BET. I've watched this show before so I was interested when I found out the drug dealer they were talkin about was outt D.C. Immediatly I thought it was going to be about Rayful Edmund....who basically brought crack to D.C and reaped something like MILLIONS A WEEK. But too my surprise it wasn't baout Rayful...rather about Cornell Jones. Now I had never heard about Cornell Jones before...but apparently he was Rayful's predicessor.



"Cornell Jones’s illegal business in the early ’80s specialized in heroin and, most famously, “butt naked,” a mix of marijuana and PCP that literally drove his smokers into intense states of hyper-reality and, even madness. Where Rayful was high profile and showy, Cornell kept a low profile, ruled by charm as well as fear, and maintained strong ties to Washington, D.C. "

The thing I found most interesteing though was that where his "orginazation" did most of their hand to hand deals was on Hanover Pl in NE. Apparently in its hay day the strip would be sooo crowded with buyers and sellers cars couldn't get through, and you would see addicts and feinds in lines waitin to buy. But the thing that is crazy to me is that my uncle lived on Hanover Place FOR YEARS. I remeber going over to his house...playing in the allies....going to the corner store...and just walking up and down the block....NEVER did I know the HISTORY that took place on that block. Its a small world indeed. And the funny thing is...when I used to go out to my uncles house i never would have imagined all the thigns taht took place there.

No comments: